This simple and delicious recipes was shared with us by Tisha… an amazing woman whose name is synonymous with the word “Energy”! She beams the joy and love of Jesus through her smile and her voice and the words that she speaks. Becky and I […]
Welcome to the lighter side of salad dressing! Some of you will want to run away at the thought of a low-fat salad dressing but, I promise, this is something different! This one is made with real-food, fresh ingredients, not like all the fake stuff you will usually find on grocery store shelves! This creamy flavor-full salad dressing has been a labor of love for the past few weeks! I have made multiple batches with lots of variations to come up with the perfect flavor combination while keeping it ultra low-fat! I am not very good at tooting my own horn but this one might just need to be shouted from the rooftops! I am so excited to have this staple in my kitchen and am thrilled to share it with you!
I am not one to shun a good home-made salad dressing of any kind. Our Homemade Ranch dressing is a household favorite and Becky’s Creamy Ceasar dressing is to die for…. So, while I am not really into counting calories, I have learned that, for me, calories do count! I have been making some intentional strides towards adding some lighter options to my menu but I am never one to sacrifice flavor…. Hence the need to perfect a good low-fat, low-calorie dressing that can bring a punch of flavor for all your lighter food options!
This Creamy Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette is the result and you are going to love it as much as I do!
The secret in this sauce comes from the roasted garlic. I take a whole bulb of garlic and roast it in the oven for about 45 minutes. I know that sounds like a hassle of an extra step, but I just throw one in when my oven is on for something else. It really is quite simple but the resulting flavor is what makes this recipe amazing. The rest of the ingredients have been carefully selected to my liking but once you have the base recipe down, feel free to swap out the parsley for some fresh basil or cilantro or whatever herbs you love. I have tried it with dried herbs and it works, but I always prefer fresh when I have the option. The finely diced sun-dried tomatoes add just the perfect punch of flavor to compliment the garlic. I buy the dried ones that are not marinated in oil but if that is what you have, just drain the oil off before adding them. I have tried it with both plain low-fat Kefir as well as plain low-fat greek yogurt and found that I prefer it with the kefir. The flavor is more mild with less of that yogurt tang but you can try it either way and see which you prefer.
You can start off with a single batch of this recipe… but I have quickly graduated to needing to double or triple it so that I always have some on hand. I even like to put some in a little jar and throw it in my purse for when we eat out! This recipe works wonders on salads, roasted veggies, meats, eggs, sandwhices… use your imagination and let us know your favorite way to use it!
Creamy Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
With just a few simple steps and a little bit of patience, this ultra low fat dressing will add flavor to all your meals.
- 1 to 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain, low fat Kefir (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Gentle Sweet (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/16th tsp Xanthan gum (optional for thicker dressing)
- 2 Tbls finely diced sun dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbls finely diced fresh parsley
- Step 1 Depending on their size and potency, take 1 to 2 whole bulbs of fresh garlic and cut off just the tips. Peel off and discard the outer layers of white, paper-like skin and drizzle olive oil over the exposed garlic.
- Step 2 Wrap garlic snuggly with aluminum foil and place in preheated 425 degree oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Step 3 Remove garlic from oven and let cool enough to handle. You should be able to easily squeeze the flesh of the garlic from its skin. Put this roasted garlic pulp into a blender and discard skins.
- Step 4 To the blender, add all other ingredients EXCEPT the fresh parsley and sun-dried tomatoes. Blend well and then add parsley and sun-dried tomatoes at the very end and pulse a few times to mix.
- Step 5 Place in desired container and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours. This last step is very important as the flavor will improve with time and the consistency will thicken.
Garlic~ Look for the larger bulbs that have larger cloves. It makes it much less tedious to get all the garlic out
Kefir~ I usually make my own using low fat milk but you can usually find the Life-Way brand in stores as well. Just be sure to look for the low-fat plain version without any sweeteners.
Sweetener~ I usually have Gentle Sweet on hand but depending on your preference and your dietary goals, you could use your favorite one to-taste. Just keep in mind that it may effect the carb/calorie content.
For Trim Healthy Mamas, this falls into the Fuel Pull category so it is great for all your meal choices.
For Weight Watchers, this dressing has 1 smart point for 1/4 cup.
Nutritional Information per 1/4 cup serving: 50 Calories, 4 grams Carbohydrates, 2 grams Fat.
Gather around the table, the back porch, or the football game and dig into this perfect-for-parties Bean Dip!
Quick and easy to make and full of flavor…. So whip it up and pile it on your favorite chips, crackers, veggies, burritos, tacos… really, anything begging for some creamy, cheesy flavor! It works great for the stove top or you can make it in a crockpot to keep it warm all though your party and clear though the 4th quarter.
This recipe is so simple, my little guys love to make it up for a fun-at-home lunch. A few veggies and a big glass of our fresh raw goats milk and it is a meal I can feel pretty good about.
Party Bean Dip
- 1 can of re-fried beans
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 t cumin
- tortilla chips
- Step 1 Option 1: Combine all ingredients in a mini crockpot and heat on low for about two hours, stirring every 1/2 hour or so until hot and bubbly. When hot, reduce temperature to warm for serving.
- Step 2 Option 2: Heat all ingredients in a medium size saucepan on medium heat, stirring often until hot and bubbly. Transfer to a slow cooker on warm for serving if desired.
- Step 3 Serve with tortilla chips, veggies or use as a filling for your favorite Mexican dish.
this can be made with all cheddar cheese (8 ounces) if you don’t have monterey jack.
For our THM friends, this dip calls for all plan approved ingredients but is a crossover. Make sure to use baked blue corn chips, veggies or an on-plan cracker for a fun party treat.
This Lamb & Kale Soup was inspired by the stew our friend Michele makes. Her recipe has the perfect flavor combination of the lamb and spices but I was wanting something that was a bit faster to make and a tad easier on the budget. Plus I needed to swap out a few of the ingredients to fit with the AIP guidelines that I am embarking on.
Imagine my surprise and delight when I was at Aldi yesterday and found that they are now carrying Ground Lamb at a very nice price! That was the start and this recipe was the finish! It is every bit as amazing as our other Savory Lamb Stew recipe but I love having this option to fit within some of my dietary goals and I made it in the Instant Pot which made it quick and easy and did I mention that the flavor is amazing!
Really, that is all I have to say about this! No fancy story, just really good soup!
The squeeze of fresh lemon on top is the perfect compliment and the optional feta cheese adds a nice flavor boost.
Our THM friends are also going to love this one since it is a straight S meal. It also uses everyday ingredients but tastes like something special!
Lamb & Kale Soup
- 2 Lbs Ground Lamb
- 1 onion, diced
- 1.5 cups carrots, chopped
- 1.5 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can coconut milk (reg or light)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 to 3 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 fresh lemon for garnish
- feta cheese for garnish
- Step 1 For the Instant Pot, turn on to Sauté, add the ground lamb and brown.
- Step 2 Add all other ingredients except the kale, seal and set on manual for 22 minutes.
- Step 3 Once it is done and the pressure has released, add the kale and stir.
- Step 4 Replace cover and allow it to stay on “Keep Warm” for at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Step 5 Squeeze a fresh lemon wedge into each bowl and top with feta cheese if desired.
- Step 6 For stove top, simply brown your meat first and then add everything but the kale. Cover and cook till all veggies are tender and flavors are melded together, About 45 to 60 minutes. Then add kale and keep warm until it is soft.
~If your are following a low carb or the THM diet, this soup is a perfect S meal, no adjustments needed!
~My husband loves a good meaty soup so I opted to use the 2 pounds of lamb for this…. I am much less of a meat eater, so 1 pound would have been plenty for me… but you choose how you like it and let me know.