Once upon a time, before Google was a thing… Women everywhere gave birth to babies! And when this would happen, family and friends would show up with complete and beautiful meals to bless the new mama with a little extra time to rest and snuggle with the newborn child. Tis a true tale and I was blessed enough to live in just such a community.
After the birth of my 3rd child, our church friends provided us with meals for weeks after the blessed event. My husband still speaks of that amazing season of eating and all the fabulous new recipes that we got to partake of. You see, in this circle of friends, when it came to food only the best offerings would do. And when it came to the best offerings, we all knew that when Richard and Kirsten showed up, you were about to be amazed…. And amazed we were when they showed up on a lazy Thursday afternoon with a meal that included these Lemony Rose Potatoes.
That sweet baby boy is now 15 years old and that’s how long this recipe has been a staple in our home. This savory side dish pairs well with meats of all kinds and my husband has been known to reheat them for breakfast with his eggs.
It has been years since we have been in touch with our aforementioned friends but, as is true with most food…. their memory is attached to the flavor of this dish and therefor they are often and fondly thought of in our home!
Lemony Rose Potatoes
These savory potatoes burst with flavor in every bite.
- 2 lbs red new potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 Tbls lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- outer peel from one orange (use veggie peeler to get thin slices)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 20 bay leaves (yes, I do mean 20!)
- Step 1 Wash and cut potatoes into quarters, being sure that they are all roughly the same size. Place in a 9×13 pan.
- Step 2 Using 2 fresh lemons, grate off the outer yellow peeling then squeeze the juice to get 6 Tbls.
- Step 3 Whisk together oil & lemon juice and pour over potatoes.
- Step 4 Add peels & all other seasoning and mix to coat well.
- Step 5 Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until done.