Weather you have visited Hawaii once or spent a few decades there, it is likely that you have had breakfast served with this sweet creamy concoction known as Coconut Syrup. As a child it was a special thrill to spend a Saturday morning with the family at Cinnamon’s restaurant in the small windward town of Kailua indulging in a fluffy stack of pancakes smothered in this amazing white sauce that tastes like the tropics!
Fast forward 30 years and those days are just sweet family memories. Living in our respective mainland states, we have yet to find a breakfast eatery that serves Coconut Syrup…. But we want our kids to experience the taste of their birthplace and so this simple recipe is one that you can often find in our homes.
~Oh, but trust us when we tell you that it is good for so much more than breakfast stacks! Here are a few ideas but we are sure you will find your own creative uses once you get started:
~Pour it over fruit~
~Try it as a sweetener for mixed drinks. May we suggest trying it with rum for a quick and easy tropical drink~
~Use it to make granola~
~Add it to smoothies with banana and pineapple ~
~Drizzle it over ice cream~
~Stir it into chai tea~
Thick, sweet and rich coconut syrup!
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Step 1 Shake the cornstarch in a small jar with 2-3 teaspoons of water. Set aside.
- Step 2 Add coconut milk, sugar and salt to sauce pan and heat on medium, heat, stirring occasionally until mixture is almost boiling.
- Step 3 Add the cornstarch and water mixture, cooking and stirring until the mixture begins to boil and thickens.
- Step 4 Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Step 5 When cooled slightly, pour in a jar and refrigerate.
- Step 6 If the consistency gets too thick, add a little water, coconut milk or other milk and whisk to desired consistancy
We would love to hear of any creative uses you have for this Coconut Syrup!