Eleven years ago we moved from our home in Hawaii to a small town in Minnesota…. As we were getting to know our new community and the friendly people we met, I found an odd, reoccurring event taking place. People kept giving me bags of Minnesota Wild Rice as a welcome gift. It seemed a strange tradition to me but after receiving 4 or 5 bags of this deep brown, nutty looking grain I decided that I better go find some recipes. Our favorite became a lovely, creamy soup with Chicken and Wild Rice.
A few years later, I started writing a blog with yummy food and little snippets of life and was also helping to develop new recipes for my friends over at Trim Healthy Mama. Chicken Wild Rice Soup had become a favorite in my family so I endeavored to modify it so that would fit into the THM crowd and the specific requirements of their eating plan. This rich and creamy soup was the result, and my family never batted an eye with the changeover.
Since then, this recipe has been one of the most viewed on my old site. It has been included in a best selling cookbook and has been enjoyed, shared and raved about by thousands. I don’t mean to brag… but it really is that good! I have made it for dozens of people, including my daughter’s whole high school theatre group… none of whom where concerned about eating healthy or losing weight or trying to get more veggies in their diet, and they all scarfed it down and begged for more (and that time it was the Dairy Free version!).
It is chock full of veggies, but it owes it’s creaminess to the blended up cauliflower which takes the place of all the milk and flour that are usually in creamed soups. And while I do include a tiny bit of cream cheese in this recipe, I have left it out on multiple occasions when serving it to those with dairy allergies and it was still loved by all.
I hope your family loves it as much as mine!
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
This soup is light on fat and calories but full of flavor and thick creamy goodness.
- 16 oz frozen or fresh cauliflower
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 2 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 2 to 3 cups chopped carrots
- 2 to 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 onion, diced or sliced
- ½ cup Wild Rice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 to 4 cups cooked diced chicken breast.
- Step 1 Simmer Cauliflower with 3 cups of the Chicken broth for 10 min or so until tender.
- Step 2 Once cooked, place broth and cauliflower in blender with cream cheese and puree until smooth. (if your blender is small, do it in 2 batches)
- Step 3 Into the pot, add carrots, celery, onion and wild rice along with salt, pepper and thyme and remaining chicken broth.
- Step 4 Add pureed cauliflower back to pot as well.
- Step 5 Simmer for 1 hour. You want the veggies to be tender and the wild rice to begin breaking open.
- Step 6 Add in cooked chicken breast and heat on low for another 20 min or so. The rice will continue to break open and soak up all the flavor and more of the liquid.
~For a Dairy Free option, just omit the 2 oz of cream cheese and add 2 Tbls of Nutritional yeast along with 1/2 to one cup of Unsweetened Plain Dairy Free Milk of your choice.
~This soup can get very thick, especially after it sits for a bit. If you want a thinner soup, add more chicken broth at the end or sometimes I like to add Unsweetened Flax Milk.
~I usually make up a big batch of cooked chicken breast every week as we use it frequently for soups and salads. I just saute it up in my skillet and then chop it up. For this recipe, you are welcome to use meat from a rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, store bought precooked… whatever works for you. Just remember for my THM friends who are looking for an E Meal, make sure to stick with Chicken Breast.
~You may get a little sticker shock when you go to buy the Wild Rice, but fear not, this recipe only calls for 1/2 cup, so a bag will last you a few rounds!
Calories 196, Fat 3g, Carbs 16g, Fiber 4g, Protein 20g