Over the years, these sandwiches have been on our table countless times. Often just for the family, but have been served to dinner guests, house guests and even at a big family reunion! They are always a hit… because well… melty cream cheese, pesto, turkey… you get the idea. My 11 year old son, Justus is a huge fan of these sandwiches and even makes them for friends if he can convince them that pesto is actually something to eat and tastes delicious! For my hubby who is pre-diabetic, and on a strict low-carb diet, I make them with Trim Healthy Mamma’s delicious flax bread. You can find the recipe on The Laundry Mom’s Blog here https://www.thelaundrymoms.com/trim-healthy-mama-bread/or you can use a low carb bread of your choice.
Grilled Pesto Sandwiches
Heat up the griddle for these delicious, easy and yummy grilled sandwiches!
- 8 slices of bread
- butter for grilling
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli turkey meat
- 1/4 cup pesto
- Step 1 Spread 1-1/4 ounces of cream cheese on each of four slices of bread
- Step 2 Lay a slice of swiss cheese and 2 slices of turkey on top
- Step 3 Top with 1 tablespoon of pesto
- Step 4 Lay the other piece of bread on top
- Step 5 Lightly butter both sides of sandwich and grill on medium low heat until hot and bubbly and bread is golden brown.
Homemade pesto makes the best sandwiches, but store bought fresh or in a jar works well too. Also, if you don’t care for swiss cheese or just don’t have any, you can substitute mozzarella, provalone or just leave it out! Just use a little extra cream cheese.