As Newlyweds, 25 years ago (!) my husband and I journeyed from our home in Hawaii to visit my dear sister and her family in Southern California.
For breakfast in the morning she served us this amazing vanilla cream. She layered this wonderful, sweet, full of protein vanilla cream with homemade granola (our mother’s recipe, here) and fresh strawberries and blueberries. It was so delicious! I will never forget that first introduction to vanilla cream even though I have been making it for 25 years! It is a frequent menu item at our house, everyone loves it.
It is also a recipe my husband, who is on a strict low carb diet, can enjoy with a few modifications.
My sister is a wonderfully creative cook who makes nearly everything from scratch. She has a gift of hospitality and barely bats an eye at having a houseful of guests to entertain for an evening or several days. Whenever you are at her house you can expect homemade, delicious and lovingly prepared meals. I have received so many recipes from her that I have used countless times for my own family and friends.
Vanilla Cream Breakfast Bowls
Breakfast Bowls with a burst of sweetness and packed with protein
- 1-1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey or sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice or 1/4 teaspoons orange extact
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or regular plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 In a blender or food processor (a blender yields a smoother consistency), blend cottage cheese, honey and orange juice until smooth
- Step 2 Add yogurt and vanilla and blend just until mixed.
- Step 3 Layer granola, vanilla cream and berries
Pack it in jars or even disposable cups with a lid for a perfect breakfast on the go!
For a low carb breakfast, be sure to use Greek yogurt and layer with low carb granola. You may also sub the honey with a low carb sweetener of choice.