The first time I ever remember enjoying Kale was from a “Pregnancy Stew” recipe that I found 20 years ago! I remember going to the store and needing to ask what it looked like so I would buy the right thing. Then Becky made me her Strawberry Kale Salad and after that I was really hooked. Since then I have always looked for new and exciting ways to enjoy one of my favorite veggies. I love it in soups and all kinds of salads and even in smoothies. In fact, I think if I was a vegetable, I would be kale! Flavorful, nutritious, a little bit frilly… holds up well under pressure and doesn’t easily get bent out of shape! Ha… I like to think I am a little like that!
So, I should tell you that I am just a little bit obsessed with this salad lately. I don’t know if you are like this too…. I go through phases where I want to eat the same thing for a few weeks and then I move on to something new. This may stay in a regular rotation for a while before I get tired of it. I am kind of on a “Plant Strong” diet kick right now so I will often eat salads for my entire meal. My husband would prefer a “Meat Strong” diet, but if I have some sausage or bacon cooked up for him to add then everyone is happy.
My mom was here visiting recently and I made this up for her. She loved it so much that she called me from the store when she got home to find out what she needed to make it. Now mind you, my mom is 75 years old, has spent a lifetime cooking for her family and is honestly “over it”. She eats pretty simply most days, partly because she has simple taste but partly because it’s just not worth the effort. My point here is that she thought it was worth the effort to make this, that is saying a lot!!
This Salad is super flavorful and has a rainbow of veggies so it is a beautiful addition to any meal or a delicious meal all by itself. It packs well for lunches too if you are on the go.
Just make it! You won’t be sorry!
Quinoa & Kale Salad
Quinoa tossed with fresh kale and a rainbow of yummy veggies. Perfect as a meal or a side dish.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 3 to 4 cups kale, diced small
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbls honey*
- 1/4 cup diced sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup diced purple cabbage
- 3 Tbls diced fresh parsley
- 3 Tbls red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts (or other nuts of choice)
- Step 1 For the quinoa: Into a saucepan add 1 cup of quinoa, 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool completely (or follow package directions).
- Step 2 Dice kale into small bite size pieces. add to large bowl with olive oil and honey. Massage until Kale is well coated with oil and honey and it softens just a bit, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Step 3 Add cooled quinoa and all other ingredients and toss well. Chill for an hour or so to let the garlic flavor meld with the other ingredients.
~*If you are following a THM diet plan, this meal is a nutritious crossover. You will just want to swap out the honey for an on-plan sweeter. To make it an E-meal, reduce the olive oil to 2 Tbls and omit the nuts…. But really, it’s super yummy as a crossover!
~Pine nuts are amazing in this but they are a bit pricy so feel free to swap them out with another nut. Slivered almonds or roasted pecans would be great choices.