This Lamb & Kale Soup was inspired by the stew our friend Michele makes. Her recipe has the perfect flavor combination of the lamb and spices but I was wanting something that was a bit faster to make and a tad easier on the budget. Plus I needed to swap out a few of the ingredients to fit with the AIP guidelines that I am embarking on.
Imagine my surprise and delight when I was at Aldi yesterday and found that they are now carrying Ground Lamb at a very nice price! That was the start and this recipe was the finish! It is every bit as amazing as our other Savory Lamb Stew recipe but I love having this option to fit within some of my dietary goals and I made it in the Instant Pot which made it quick and easy and did I mention that the flavor is amazing!
Really, that is all I have to say about this! No fancy story, just really good soup!
The squeeze of fresh lemon on top is the perfect compliment and the optional feta cheese adds a nice flavor boost.
Our THM friends are also going to love this one since it is a straight S meal. It also uses everyday ingredients but tastes like something special!
Lamb & Kale Soup
- 2 Lbs Ground Lamb
- 1 onion, diced
- 1.5 cups carrots, chopped
- 1.5 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can coconut milk (reg or light)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 to 3 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 fresh lemon for garnish
- feta cheese for garnish
- Step 1 For the Instant Pot, turn on to Sauté, add the ground lamb and brown.
- Step 2 Add all other ingredients except the kale, seal and set on manual for 22 minutes.
- Step 3 Once it is done and the pressure has released, add the kale and stir.
- Step 4 Replace cover and allow it to stay on “Keep Warm” for at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Step 5 Squeeze a fresh lemon wedge into each bowl and top with feta cheese if desired.
- Step 6 For stove top, simply brown your meat first and then add everything but the kale. Cover and cook till all veggies are tender and flavors are melded together, About 45 to 60 minutes. Then add kale and keep warm until it is soft.
~If your are following a low carb or the THM diet, this soup is a perfect S meal, no adjustments needed!
~My husband loves a good meaty soup so I opted to use the 2 pounds of lamb for this…. I am much less of a meat eater, so 1 pound would have been plenty for me… but you choose how you like it and let me know.