I really like lean meat…
It’s not because I am trying to limit fat or that I think it is more virtuous somehow…. I just don’t like fatty meat! It feels weird in my mouth. So I have always preferred chicken breast, fish and lean ground turkey and beef. My husband is quite the opposite. “The fattier the better” he would say! And that, right there, is what is so amazing about this recipe! The flavor and texture is so good that he actually likes these little sausage gems!
I sometimes buy different brands of chicken-apple sausage and they are mostly pretty good… but there always seems to be added ingredients that I prefer to stay away from. I started experimenting with making my own. I chose 96% lean ground turkey for the meat, mostly because it is what is most available in the stores I shop… but you could use chicken too, if you have access to it. It is really the apples & onions with all the spices that give it an amazing flavor!
Making these from scratch takes a tad bit of effort but they store well and I love having them on hand to add to any meal. They are delicious with breakfast or with salad & veggies for lunch. You can dice them to add to fried rice or eggs. So many options once you have them on hand!
I usually do this in my food processor because my kids don’t like the chunks of apple and onion, and having them pureed makes the finished sausages a bit more moist with the flavor incorporated throughout. They are the perfect addition to breakfast or serve them with veggies for lunch or dinner. You could even stick some toothpicks in them to serve as an appetizer or a party platter.
Hope you enjoy these too.
Turkey Apple Sausage
Full of flavor but low in fat, these little sausage patties are a perfect addition to any meal.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium apple ( about 3/4 cup), diced
- 1 Tbls Gentle Sweet or Sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp maple extract
- Step 1 Dice onions and sauté with 1 tsp of oil over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until soft and browed.
- Step 2 Dice apples and add to pan with onions.
- Step 3 Add sweetener and all the spices to the pan and toss until well incorporated and apples are tender.
- Step 4 Into a food processor, add ground turkey, egg whites and maple extract. Process until well mixed.
- Step 5 Add apple and onion mixture to meat and process until well incorporated or pureed, whichever you prefer.
- Step 6 Portion into patties, about 2 Tbls each. (I use a cookie scoop). Spraying hands with a little oil spray can help you to form the patties without them sticking to your hands.
- Step 7 In a non-stick pan (I used a good cast-iron) spray with oil or use about a teaspoon of oil per batch. Heat to medium and add patties.
- Step 8 Cover with lid and cook for 2 to 2.5 minutes and then flip to the other side, cover again and cook another 2 minutes or so.
- Step 9 Repeat batches until done.
- Step 10 Serve hot or store in refrigerator or freezer for later use.
These Turkey Apple Sausages are a perfect on-plan recipe for any THM E-Meal (I use a tablespoon of Gentle Sweet and they come out perfect). They add lots of lean protein and flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links.