Tag: THM E Meal

Turkey Apple Sausage

Turkey Apple Sausage

I really like lean meat… It’s not because I am trying to limit fat or that I think it is more virtuous somehow…. I just don’t like fatty meat! It feels weird in my mouth. So I have always preferred chicken breast, fish and lean […]

Lentil Kale Stew

Lentil Kale Stew

Have I mentioned that I love Kale? It was not always so… My first introduction to this thick, green, leafy vegetable was during my first pregnancy. A friend had given me a bunch of her old Fit Pregnancy magazines to look over. I found them […]

Mango-Chia Breakfast Bowls

Mango-Chia Breakfast Bowls

Thanksgiving week is upon us and plans for family, friends and feasting are in full swing…. And here at Thousand Mile Food Stories, you know that we love all three!  Becky and I share a similar theory when it comes to food and healthy choices and simply put, it is this:  Eat smart, delicious whole foods with lots of fruits and veggies and limit the junk food… but only about 75% of the time!  The other 25% is for things like Thanksgiving French Toast and Russian Tea Cakes and the bajillion other yummy treats that are going to appear on this blog in the years to come!  But since there will be that 25% indulgence later on this week, today I am sharing a light and simple staple in my fridge.  It’s not anything fancy, just these yummy Mango-Chia Breakfast Bowls that are really a great snack or light meal for any time of day.

This recipe doesn’t have much of a fancy story behind it and truth be told, I am really the only one in my house who loves to eat it…. which is fine by me! Neither my husband or kids are big fans of yogurt or oats so that means theres more for me!  It’s kind of fun to have something I don’t have to share.  You will notice that this makes a smaller portion.  Becky would need to double it cause I am pretty sure her Littles will love it.

You will notice it calls for quick cooking oats.  I usually find some nice organic ones in the bulk section of my grocery store.  They are really just rolled oats that are cut a little bit smaller so that they absorb the moisture faster.  If you don’t want to use them, you can certainly use regular rolled oats.  Just be sure to give them long enough to soften.

Let me know how you like them.



Mango-Chia Breakfast Bowls

November 19, 2017
: 2 to 3
: 8 min
: easy

A light and simple version of overnight oats that is great for mornings, afternoons or bedtime snack.


  • 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup unsweetened flax milk (or other light milk of choice)
  • 4 tsp Chia Seeds
  • 3 to 4 Tbls quick cooking oats
  • 2 Tbls pure maple syrup or THM Gentle Sweet
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen mango, diced small
  • 2 Tbls plain whey protein powder (Optional)
  • Step 1 Place yogurt and flax milk in a container and whisk together until smooth.
  • Step 2 Add all other ingredients and stir.
  • Step 3 Taste and adjust sweetener if needed.
  • Step 4 Chill for a few hours or overnight.


Recipe Notes:

~ If you are a THMer, this makes a great E Meal or snack.  Just be sure to use an on-plan sweetener like Gentle Sweet.

~For all others, or for a great crossover for kids, add some slivered almonds, our Granola or other desired toppings for fun!

~Sometimes I portion it into jars for  something I can grab on the go.

~This is also really good with peaches, pears or kiwi